COMPONENTS OF PHYSICAL FITNESS
Health Related components: Those factors that are related to how well the
systems of your body work
- Cardiovascular Fitness: The ability of the circulatory system (heart
and blood vessels) to supply oxygen to working muscles during exercise.
- Body Composition: The relative percentage of body fat compared to lean
body mass (muscle, bone, water,etc)
- Flexibility: The range of movement possible at various joints.
- Muscular strength: The amount of force that can be produced by a single
contraction of a muscle
- Muscular endurance: The ability of a muscle group to continue muscle
movement over a length of time.
Skill Related Components: Those aspects of fitness which form the basis for
successful sportor activity participation.
- Speed: The ability to move quickly from one point to another
in a straight line
- Agility: The ability of the body to change direction quickly
- Balance: The ability to maintain an upright posture while still or
- Coordination: Integration with hand and/or foot movements with the
input of the senses.
- Reaction Time: Amount of time it takes to get moving.
- Power: The ability to do strength work at an explosive pace.